Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feb 27, 2010

I seem to be slowing down a bit. I'm not sure if that's because my time is filling up with more events, because I'm focusing more energy on finding a job, or some other reason. However, I am following through on my promise to find a way each day to connect with those in need.

Today I donated to my friend Allie's effort to raise money for the Central Ohio Diabetes Association through their annual Swim/Walk for Diabetes. Her father has had very serious struggles with diabetes over the past several years, and this has been one way that she is supporting him. I have tried to support her efforts each year. Allie has been one of my dearest friends since high school, and her father has also been an important person in my life. In fact, he was one of the first people to see my first tattoo!

Donating money is a way of reaching those in need that often seems as detrimental as it does helpful, at least to me. Obviously, money is needed to fund research, purchase needed goods, etc. Many nonprofit organizations can get a lot more with an amount of money that I could get in goods for the same amount because they can buy in bulk or they have agreements with certain vendors. So yes, donating money is a good way to help people in need.

But, I think it is important that writing a check or hitting "submit" on a webpage can't be the only way we connect with God's children in need. I think the personal, relational aspect of service is just as important as funding. Especially as affluent Americans, I think we need to be reminded of the great need so many are experiencing. True, the news stations demonstrate this with the sorrow of situations like the recent earthquakes in Haiti, Japan, and now Chile. But there are adults and children and families who are also in need right outside our doors. Fairfax County VA may be super-rich area, but there are homeless here too. So yeah, giving money is great and useful, but I really feel that we need to personally connect with "the least of these" as well.

No comments: