Saturday, February 27, 2010

Catch Up: Feb 24-26, 2010

Luckily I have done a better job of keeping up with my Lenten practice than I have with blogging about it. So, in an attempt to catch up I am going to go through the days have missed in this one post.

Feb 24, 2010
Today I wrote a letter/card to Ben's Grandma Buss. Ben's grandfather has been going through a very rough time health-wise since Christmas. He has been in and out of the hospital and nursing homes, in intense pain, and he has recently had a heart attack. So obviously, he needs our support and help. But as the wife of someone who has had rough health times and hospitalizations, I know that she needs love and support too. So I bought a "thinking of you" card and wrote her a long note inside.

I really enjoyed taking the time to thoughtfully write a note, to think about her and pray for her as I was working on it. It also reminded me that while there are so many in need that are far away from me, in other countries, other places, there are also people in need in my own family, even those I see everyday. I am going to try to remember this throughout Lent and continue to take a day here and there to reach out those close to me who are in need.

Feb 25, 2010
So today my plan was to buy a few burgers and take them to the homeless men selling "Street Sense" at the Vienna metro on my way to the Common Table midweek gathering. I have done this before, in Columbus - I would occasionally buy a burger or a sub for the homeless men on High Street. So I really didn't understand why all day I was feeling anxious anytime I thought about doing this. I've tried to break down this anxiety, but it remains somewhat ambiguous. There were little things - what if they aren't there? What if there are more people there than I brought food for? But there was also something else, down deeper, that remains a mystery; maybe something related to unearthed prejudices about the homeless, or maybe something related to silly nerves about how I'd be perceived. Who knows. Silly, crazy, unknown anxiety.

But, I pushed on. I bought 4 burgers at Wendy's. I walked around the Metro looking for them where I had seen them with the paper the week before. No luck. So, I walked over to one of the Metro employees, explained what I was trying to do, and offered the burgers to him. He said that they usually come through about an hour later, and that he would pass them along.

So it all worked out. But I still wonder if I had actually met the men myself if I would have gotten more clarity on my anxiety. So maybe I'll try that one again.

Feb 26, 2010
Today I met with the helpline coordinator for Bethany House to see if I would be a good fit. We talked for a long time about the helpline and other things. It was a great conversation, and I would be excited to work with her and the other volunteer I met. Not much more to say. I really hope I'm able to start working there soon.

No comments: