Thursday, February 18, 2010

Feb 18, 2010

So today I attended a volunteer orientation for a agency that works with women and children in the Northern Virginia area who are victims of domestic violence. It was an interesting orientation. First, the agency is set up to support women and children "for the long haul". Their "emergency shelters" are set up to house women and their children for 4-6 months, and then they also operate 2 transitional housing programs. They are dedicated to not sending anyone away unless they have a viable place to go. They also provide periodic "after care" checkups. I appreciated hearing about this model, which to me seems to attempt to ensure a greater degree of success at setting women up to break the cycle of violence.

Aside from learning about the agency, we orientatees also participated in an illuminating exercise. Each of us was given a color-coded card with information about a particular woman. We then went through a number of stations describing that woman's experience with domestic abuse. At many of the stations, the "story" allowed us to choose where we would go next - seek help from family or go to the police? Go back home or try and get a job? As I went through this exercise, I found myself almost feeling exhausted by the constant running here and there and wondering when it would end. But then I stopped myself and thought about the fact that what I was experiencing in fantasy over the course of a few minutes, real women are experiencing in reality over the course of months and years. It was one of those "slap me in the face with my own idiocy" moments. Of all the classes and workshops I have attended that have talked about domestic violence, I think that hour I spent going through this exercise as two different women taught me more about the cycle and the struggles.

So next Tuesday I am scheduled to sit down with the volunteer coordinator and talk about what exactly I might be able to do to help out the agency and their clients. On one hand, I'm proud of myself that I've been able to "line something up" so quickly upon embarking on this journey, but then at the same time it shows me just how within reach it's always been. Yes, there is a big difference right now from 2 months ago in how I feel and how that allows me to feel more free to pursue this. And yes, the fact that I'm not working means that I have more free time. But really, all it really took was looking up some information on the web, sending an email, and attending a 1.5 hour orientation. So really, all it really took was doing it.

But then, I'm not sure if I should be thankful that there are these agencies so close at hand or sad that there is a need for them to be so close at hand. Tonight I'm going to sleep saying a prayer for God to protect and comfort all those in abusive relationships.

No comments: