Monday, February 22, 2010

Feb 22, 2010

So my plan for today was to find a prisoner penpal program to join. Prison outreach and reform of the criminal justice system are very important to me. Since I acknowledge that I cannot necessarily fill up every moment of my day with physical volunteering, I thought that this would be a good way to connect with an prisoner in need and provide at least a little support.

There are literally thousands of prison ministries online. If you search "prisoner penpal", you end up with a lot of hits about something other than letter writing for moral support. Searching through the lists and websites, I found myself feeling hesitant about not knowing anything about them, and quite honestly not being sure if I could trust them. How horrible is that? Looking for ministries of faith and not having the faith to trust that they are actually doing what they say they are. It's a weird world (or maybe just my weird mind).

But I did find two options that look viable: Good News Jail & Prison Ministry and a Salvation Army Ministry. I've sent out emails and we'll see what comes back.

Tonight, I'm praying for all those in jails and prisons and detention centers around the world.

No comments: