Thursday, January 14, 2010

I'm a hypocrite

A dear friend of mine posted this on FB today:

I was hungry,And you formed a humanities group to discuss my hunger. I was imprisoned, And you crept off quietly to your chapel and prayed for my release.I was naked,And in your mind you debated the morality of my appearance. I was sick, And you knelt and thanked God for your health. I was homeless, And you preached a sermon on the spiritual shelter of the love of God. I was lonely, and you left me alone to pray for me. You seem so holy, so close to God –But I am still very hungry – and lonely – and cold. Skip Newby

As I read it, I love it. And as I love it, I realize that it is speaking directly to me. I feel the call to actively do for those in need, but right now I feel trapped by my health issues. Then something like the earthquake in Haiti happens and I see the real pain, suffering, and unimaginable difficulty they are living and fighting through. And then I feel really lame, really weak, really pathetic.

Dear God, Help me find my place to serve your children. Amen.

1 comment:

Craig Frogale said...

You're not a hypocrite. I am starting to see how the balance between doing and being is so critical. I pray that we are convicted by God to serve through joy and inspiration and not feelings of guilt or shame. We are praying for you and all who are sick. Get better sister.